Monday, November 3, 2008

FreakAngels


Web comics seem to be a joke for most people. It's where people who can't get a break decide to say," Fuck it, I'm putting this out there, for every one to see!" Of course, that says nothing about whether what's going out there is any good or not. And, as a result, there are some bad ones out there. Perhaps they're even bad enough to raise suspicions once a web comic comes out.

Thinking about it, web comics make perfect sense for most creators. It's easy to do and can bring excellent coverage for those just starting out. It's just that have been enough lousy ones to make the whole enterprise seem dodgy, at best.

Freak Angels, by Warren Ellis, fortunately, is definitely not a bad web comic. It, in fact, is better than some of the printed garbage out there. I actually ran into this by accident, and ended up reading the thing from beginning to the current (33rd) episode. As I've heard others say, this is how web comics are supposed to be done.

It's excellent, not only because of Ellis' solid, solid writing but also because of his (probably raving mad) artist, Paul Duffield, who turns out six pages of amazing art every week. The guy must be intravenously ingesting coffee (or something) to get all this amazing work done! The art is clean and yet not cold, character comes through with every panel.

It's worth bookmarking and, I'd even venture, worth buying the TPB.

I can't say I'm not jealous. But, on the upshot, it's given me enough inspiration to try for my own. Let's see.

No comments: