Monday, January 26, 2009

Making Comics


I've written a couple of times about comics and it is pretty obvious that I am an avid reader. I've recently started writing some, in the hopes of it being published someday. I don't want to go into self-promotion here, especially since there's still nothing finished to talk about. I just want to talk about going through the process.

It's actually a lot of work, putting everything together. I have enormous respect for the sheer drive and energy comic book creators have in getting their stories out there. As someone who's just learning about it now, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of things that need to be done.
A comic book is a product of a hell of a lot of work. But, that said, it's also thrilling, to be creating something very different, something fun. And I guess that's part of what keeps some creators going, especially when the wall hits and you have nothing in you but a need to finish.

Hat's off to all of you out there.

Also, I just saw some of the script for Watchmen (which I've written about earlier). And, just for fun, here's the script for the first PANEL of the first page of the first issue.

Nuts, right? I used to think so until I started writing my own stuff. Sometimes, a panel will really just demand that much attention. And it helps if you're a crazy brilliant writer like Alan Moore.

I'm thrilled right now because my project seems to be pushing forward. I just saw the first draft of the concept character art and I'm just so thrilled to be seeing them come to life, beyond what I see in my imagination. They'll still be tweaked, of course, but just the idea of it becoming real boggles my mind.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

By the way, the dinosaur comic on top is from www.qwantz.com. Its called...Dinosaur Comics, what, you thought it would be anything else?


No comments: